Saturday, July 21, 2012

6 Days til London

I can hardly wait for the London Olympics to start. I think of all that has happened over the past four years of my life and can't imagine all of the work and preparation the athletes have been put through during that time frame. Their are always great stories that come from the games. Michael Phelps captured our hearts in Beijing. Who can forget Ali lighting the torch in Atlanta? Surely their will be new stories to come over the next few weeks. The Olympics have already begun in a way as we know who will and won't be competing. I was devastated that Rafael Nadal will be out due to injury. He was set the carry the Spanish flag in the Opening Ceremonies and will be watching instead of participating now.

Over the past week I have come across two stories that have caught my attention. The first athlete I want to highlight is Gabby Douglas. Her remarkable story was displayed on this weeks edition of Rock Center. It tells of her stuggles and dedication to gymnastics. To view Gabby's story, click here. She is truly an inspiration and her genuine desire to win the gold medal is what the Olympics are about.

The other story is about Guor Marial. Marial is a native of Sudan who fled as a refugee and came to America. His story is one of great sacrifice. To read an article on Marial, click here. While it is unexpected that he medals in London, his story is an inspiration to all.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited! I am so going to read those stories. Those athletes sound amazing! -heather

    ReplyDelete